Friday, August 13, 2010

Harvest Time

We decided to try a garden this year. Neither of us are gardeners and so we decided to try square foot gardening. We decided to make a 2 ft by 4 ft box, small enough to care for and large enough for 3 types of plants. We chose peas, carrots and corn. I started the plants inside in mid March and they grew really well and more quickly than I anticipated. In April we needed transplanted them outside to our garden box. But, it was a cold spring this year and we had some snow shortly after we transplanted them and within a few days we lost nearly everything. Well, we didn't let that deter us and I bought some more seeds and planted again in May when the weather finally turned a bit warmer. This is what our garden box looked like in mid June.

A week or two later we had some plump fresh peas. Yum! And the kids loved to be able pick the peas and open them. They happily gobbled them all up and pronounced them the best they ever had.

The peas just gave me a second lot of peas and I just harvested the carrots. The carrots are tiny, but the kids love that they are so small and cute and gobble them up just as quickly. You can see the biggest one is about as long as my middle finger. The corn is still struggling to grow and may not produce, but we were excited to just see them grow. I think we may try it again next year. Happy gardening!

3 comments:

Heather said...

We usually have a big garden with lots of food from it, I think it was this crazy weather this year because we have a couple of carrots and that is it, and usually by this time we are begging people to come get some.

Schroeder's in a NUT SHELL! said...

We usually just do tomatoes...our carrots were tiny too one year, and we tried corn and found out you really need a few rows of corn so they can pollinate and be able to produce corn....it's fun to do and you learn a lot...your carrots look yummy..ours were not..have fun with your garden!

Cindy Louhoo :) said...

how fun - I love the garden box idea - I bet you didn't have any weeds that way. Love fresh peas they are my favorite. I'm always like a little girl about gardens. I still think it's quite a miracle that you put a tiny little seed in the ground - water it and then you get these huge plants and lots of food - LOVE IT!!